BMW Manufacturing Co. Donates Robots to State Technical Colleges to Help Train Future Workforce
BMW Manufacturing Co. announced today that is has donated 20 robots to the S.C. Technical College System’s Center for Accelerated Technology Training (CATT) for distribution to 10 statewide technical colleges to help train South Carolina’s future workforce.
The robots, valued at approximately $2 million, were used in the factory’s Body Shop to weld metal parts for the previous generation X5 Sports Activity Vehicle. Production of the new X5 SAV began in September.
“Education is a key to preparing the future workforce, and these robots will be a great asset in developing students’ technical skills and experiences with robotics,” said Robert Hitt, BMW Manufacturing’s department manager for public affairs.
“We have a great long-standing relationship with BMW in South Carolina, and this generous donation to the South Carolina Technical College System is evidence of that,” said Dr. Barry Russell, president of the South Carolina Technical College System. “When BMW approached us with the idea for this donation, they recognized our Technical Colleges’ reputation for training the highly skilled technicians of the future. These robots will be invaluable teaching tools for our Colleges to continue that kind of high-tech training.”
The recipient technical colleges are:
- Central Carolina in Sumter
- Northeastern in Cheraw
- Piedmont in Greenwood
- Tri-County serving Anderson, Pickens and Oconee counties
- York in Rock Hill
CATT has picked up the robots from BMW Manufacturing. The robots will be delivered and installed at the colleges after the first of the year.
This is not the first time that BMW Manufacturing has donated robots to the South Carolina workforce. The company provided 42 robots and robot controllers to the South Carolina Department of Education in 2002 that are still being used in the following vocational schools throughout the state:
- Aiken County Career Center
- Career and Technology Center in Anderson County
- Thunderbolt Career Center in Colleton County
- Donaldson Career Center in Greenville County
- J. Harley Bonds Career Center in Greenville County
- Applied Technology Center in Kershaw County
- Marion County Technical Education Center
- Newberry County Career Center
- Orangeburg Career Center
- B.J. Skelton Career Center in Pickens County
- Heyward Career Center in Richland County
- Daniel Morgan Technology Center in Spartanburg County
- H. B. Swofford Career Center in Spartanburg County
- R.D. Anderson Technology Center in Spartanburg County
- Sumter County Career Center
- Hemingway Area Vocational Center in Williamsburg County.
BMW Manufacturing Co., a subsidiary of the BMW Group based in Munich, Germany, is the exclusive manufacturer of the Z4 and M Roadster, Z4 and M Coupe in addition to the X5. Its website address is www.bmwusfactory.com. In addition to the South Carolina manufacturing facility, BMW’s North American subsidiaries include sales, marketing and financial services operations in the United States, Canada and throughout Latin America, and a design firm in California.