Garth Mulroy Wins 2011 BMW Charity Pro-Am presented by SYNNEX Corporation Golf Tournament
South African Garth Mulroy won the 11th annual BMW Charity Pro-Am presented by SYNNEX Corporation golf tournament held at Thornblade Club here today. The win, which came on the first playoff hole against South Korean Sunghoon Kang, was the first win this year for the North Carolina State alum. He finished the tournament at -18 under par (65, 66, 70, 67).
Today’s win earned Mulroy $108,000 and skyrocketed him from 68th to second on the Nationwide Tour money list. Mulroy has earned a total of $123,065 so far this year. The top 25 money leaders on the Nationwide Tour automatically earn playing status on the PGA TOUR in 2012.
Amateur Marshall Mizell and his professional partner Darron Stiles won the Pro-Am/Pro-Celeb portion of the tournament at -44 under par. They donated their $1,000 winnings to Dogs for Autism. Actress Janet Jones-Gretzky was the highest finishing celebrity at eighth, -36 under par. She donated her earnings to The First Tee Greenville.
Tournament attendance was 46,000.
Complete scoring can be found on the tournament’s website, www.bmwcharitygolf.com, by clicking on the “Leaderboard/Live Scoring” link.
The 23 celebrities that competed in the 2011 tournament were Lucas Black, Brad Brownell, Mark Bryan, Andy Buckley, Javier Colon, Jeffrey Donovan, Don Felder, Colt Ford, Bruce Greenwood, Wayne Gretzky, Oliver Hudson, Janet Jones-Gretzky, Josh Kelley, Greg Kinnear, Cheech Marin, Rob Morrow, Terry O’Quinn, Michael Pena, Joe Don Rooney, Kevin Sorbo, Danny Sullivan, Gary Valentine and Patrick Warburton.
Twenty-six (26) charities will earn funds from the tournament. They are: 100 Black Men of the Upstate, A Child’s Haven, Alzheimer’s Association – S.C. Chapter, Blue Ridge Council Boy Scouts of America, Cancer Association of Spartanburg and Cherokee Counties, Charles Lea Center Foundation, Child Evangelism Fellowship (CEF), Citizen Scholars of Spartanburg County, Compass of Carolina, Dogs for Autism, First Tee of Greenville, Foothills Equestrian Nature Center (FENCE), Greer Middle College Charter High School, Harvest Hope Food Bank, Hickory Nut Gorge Olympiad, Hidden Treasure Christian School, Hispanic-American Women’s Association (AHAM), Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, Meals on Wheels of Greenville County, Mobile Meals of Spartanburg, National Christian College Athletic Association (NCCAA), Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Carolinas, Scottish Rite Foundation of S.C., St. Joseph’s Catholic School, The Walker Foundation and YMCA Camp Greenville.
The BMW Charity Pro-Am presented by SYNNEX Corporation is the only tournament on the PGA TOUR’s Nationwide Tour where amateurs and celebrities are grouped with Nationwide Tour professionals in a four-day better-ball competition over three courses. Amateurs, celebrities and pros rotate between three courses on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, with the 14 lowest scoring pro-amateur/pro-celebrity teams advancing to play Sunday’s final round at Thornblade Club. Celebrities play once at each course on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. The professional winner of the overall 72-hole event will take home $108,000 from the total purse of $600,000. Amateurs and celebrities will compete for individual prizes and cash donations to the charity of their choice out of the beneficiaries selected by South Carolina Charities, Inc.
The first 10 tournaments have raised nearly $8 million for 150+ charities. Money raised from the 2011 tournament will be announced in the coming months.
For more information about the BMW Charity Pro-Am presented by SYNNEX Corporation call (864) 297-1660, visit the tournament’s website www.bmwcharitygolf.com or follow the tournament on Facebook.
Pro-Amateur/Pro-Celebrity Final Scoring:
- 1st Place – $1,000 Darron Stiles/Marshall Mizell (-44) Dogs for Autism
- 2nd Place – $1,000 Daniel Chopra/Rolf Klam (-41) A Child’s Haven
- 3rd Place – $1,000 Ted Potter, Jr./Fred Mercer (-40) NCCAA
- 4th Place – $1,000 Brendan Todd/Tom Hutchison (-39) Mobile Meals of Spartanburg
- T5th Place – $1,000 Danny Lee/Tucker MacDonald (-38) NCCAA and The First Tee Greenville
- T5th Place – $1,000 Russell Knox/Jeff Ware (-38) NCCAA
- 7th Place – $1,000 Justin Bolli/Bob Smith (-37) Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Carolinas
- 8th Place – $1,000 Luke List/Janet Jones-Gretzky (-36) The First Tee Greenville
- T9th Place – $1,000 Woody Austin/George Wolfe (-34) The First Tee Greenville
- T9th Place –$1,000 Michael Sims/Wayne Bach (-34) Harvest Hope Food Bank
- T9th Place – $1,000 Chris Nallen/Wayne Gretzky (-34) Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Carolinas
- T12th Place – $1,000 D.J. Brigman/Frank Chalfont (-33) Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Carolinas
- T12th Place – $1,000 Travis Hampshire/John Konsek (-33) Scottish Rite Foundation
- 14th Place – $1,000 Bubba Dickerson/Edgar Casner (-32) The Charles Lea Center
- 2001 – Jonathan Byrd
- 2002 – Charles Warren
- 2003 – Tripp Isenhour
- 2004 – Ryuji Imada
- 2005 – Shane Bertsch
- 2006 – Ken Duke
- 2007 – Nick Flanagan
- 2008 – David Mathis
- 2009 – Michael Sim
- 2010 – Justin Hicks
- 2011 – Garth Mulroy
Charity Dollars Earned:
- 2001 – $ 500,000
- 2002 – $ 515,739
- 2003 – $ 674,788
- 2004 – $ 752,650
- 2005 – $ 600,000
- 2006 – $ 675,865
- 2007 – $ 2,021,325
- 2008 – $ 906,308
- 2009 – $ 651,829
- 2010 – $ 665,041
- 2011 – to be announced in the coming months
- 2001 – 25,000
- 2002 – 26,000
- 2003 – 43,000
- 2004 – 40,000
- 2005 – 30,000
- 2006 – 33,000
- 2007 – 42,000
- 2008 – 50,000
- 2009 – 46,000
- 2010 – 57,000
- 2011 – 46,000