The sleek lines, the flawless fit between door and frame, quarter panel and hood; they not only define the signature BMW profile, they ensure its performance, through aerodynamic efficiency, frame-welded stability and the tightest-fitting doors in the industry. It all happens at our Body Shop where a brand new BMW begins to take shape.
- The Body Shop is comprised of two separate lines: one line for X5/X6 and a separate line for X3.
- The state-of-the-art X5/X6 Body Shop contains more than 380 robots.
- We require about 450 team members to build a complete car body.
- Each car has about 7,500 spot welds and 350 stud welds.
- From start to finish, it takes about 6 hours to build a complete car body.
- One car body contains approximately 80 meters (260 feet) of sealer, 2 meters (6.5 feet) of MIG Welds, and 80 rivets.
- One car body is made up of 400 individual parts.
- On the X3 line, the hang-on parts area where doors, hood and tailgate are attached is completely automated. This is the first fully automated hang-on fit line in the BMW Group Production Network.